Printable copy: Discipline Policy
Ahoskie Free Will Baptist Church Day Care
Discipline and Behavior Management Policy
Praise and positive reinforcement are effective methods of behavior management of children. When children receive positive, non-violent, and understanding interactions from adults and others, they develop good self-concepts, problem-solving abilities, and self-discipline. Based on this belief of how children learn and develop values, this center will practice the following discipline and behavior management policy:
- Praise, reward, and encourage the children.
- Reason with and set limits for the children.
- Model appropriate behavior for the children
- Modify the classroom environment to attempt to prevent problems before they occur.
- Listen to the children.
- Provide alternatives for inappropriate behavior to the children.
- Provide the children with natural and logical consequences of their behaviors.
- Treat the children as people and respect their needs, desires, and feelings.
- Explain things on their level.
- Use short supervised “time-out” periods.
- Stay consistent in our behavior management program.
We DO NOT:
- Spank, shake, bite, pinch, push, pull, slap, or otherwise physically punish the children.
- Ridicule, threaten or otherwise verbally abuse the children.
- Shame or punish the children when bathroom accidents occur.
- Deny food or rest as a form of punishment.
- Do not leave the children alone, unattended, or without supervision.
- Place the children in locked rooms, closets, or boxes as punishment.
- Allow children to discipline other children.
- Criticize, ridicule, or otherwise belittle children’s parents, families, or ethnic groups.
I, the undersigned parent/guardian of , do hereby state that I have read and received a copy of the Discipline and Behavior Management Policy and that the Day Care Center’s Coordinator/Director has discussed the center’s Discipline and Behavior Management Policy with me.
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Date of Child’s Enrollment